Featured Lighthouse #21- Wind Point Lighthouse- Racine, WI
Wind Point Lighthouse was completed in 1880. The 108 foot tower is attached to the keepers dwelling by means of a covered passageway, similar to other Great Lakes lights designed by the influential Orlando M. Poe. The dwelling was home to the Head Keeper and two assistants and their families. Within the tower, 144 cast iron steps, each individually anchored to the walls and supported by a central column, spiral to the lantern room.
In 1900, to aid navigation during periods of low visibility, a fog signal was added. Steam powered, this signal could be heard from a distance of 40 miles out in the lake.
The lighthouse interior is not open to the public, the grounds are open during normal business hours, and thus one can obtain a close-up view of the station.