Featured Lighthouse #5- Muskegon South Pier and Breakwater Lights
Muskegon South Pier and Breakwater Lights
The first light was constructed on the shore in Muskegon in 1851 and included a keeper's dwelling. With completion of the harbor pier in 1902, the shore light was replaced with a new light at the end of the pier. The pier juts out into Lake Michigan between two breakwaters at the mouth of Muskegon Lake. The 53-foot red conical stee...l tower, equipped with a fourth order Fresnel lens, was erected in 1903. The Fresnel lens has been replaced by a modern 300mm acrylic optic.
The 70-foot South Breakwater Square Tower was built in 1930. The red square tapered steel tower sits on the south breakwater, also along the Lake Michigan shore at the mouth of Muskegon Lake.