Built in 1927, the Manistee North Pierhead Lighthouse and Catwalk is listed on the National Register of Historic Places; the catwalk is one of only four remaining on Lake Michigan. The Lighthouse is owned by the City of Manistee and is undergoing restoration by the Manistee
County Historical Museum.
The Manistee Harbor has been served by four lighthouses in the last 142 years. The first lighthouses were dwellings with lights atop. Pierhead lights were added in 1875, and eventually included fog signals, range lights, and a catwalk.
The current 39-foot steel tower was built in 1927 and was transferred to the City and Museum in 2011. The light still shines over Lake Michigan from the ten-sided lantern atop the steel tower. When restoration is completed in several years, the Lighthouse will be open to the public on select summer days.